Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Happy Hudson

Saturday, September 7th, dawned early and cold.  There was smoke on the water.

We left the dock at 7:25 and rode the current for 25 miles, going as much as 8.1 over the bottom.  The last 12 miles we fought the current, going as slow as 4.4 over the bottom.  We enjoyed several picturesque lighthouses on the way, starting with the Saugerties Light.

Next we passed the Roundout Creek Light at Kingston.

Finally, we passed the Esopus Meadows Light, which was located in the middle of the river.

We stopped at Marlboro Yacht Club again, even though it was a weekend and wakes were a problem.  It settled down nicely about dark.

We departed Marlboro on Sunday the 8th at 7:05.  Once again we rode the current early, only to lose it later.  Our high speed was 8.2 knots over the bottom.  High light of the trip was passing West Point.

Just south of the academy many houses  sat on the cliffs.

We also motored under the spectacular Bear Mountain Suspension Bridge.

We arrived in Haverstraw bay and tied up at Half Moon Bay Marina by 11:45.  This is a highly rated marina, but I don't know why.  Supposedly, there was easy access to washers and driers, but there was not.  Also, supposedly easy access to the train station turned out to be over a two mile walk.  After bouncing around at the dock in a terrible surge for the afternoon, we changed our planned two day stay with a trip to New York City into a one day stay.

On Monday, September 9th we motored 8.2 nautical miles to Tarrytown Marina.  The train station is right across the street from the marina.  The weather forecast for the New Jersey coast was for southwest winds all week, so we thought a trip to Manhattan would be a great idea.  We spent Monday doing chores so that we could go to town on Tuesday.

On Tuesday we hustled to the train station for our  big city adventure.

After a scenic train ride, we detrained at Grand Central Station.  Our goal was to see the 9/11 Memorial at the World Trade Center.  Several very friendly New Yorkers helped us learn the ropes of riding the subway.  Two stops on the orange line later, we jumped on the E train and arrived at the WTC.  The site is beautiful and very emotional.  The two pools are surrounded by the names of the 2,983 victims of terrorism who died that day.

Some names had small flags or flowers attached.  One could touch the names and get a sense of the families who have suffered from this barbarous act.  However, spectacular new buildings are rising from the ashes of the old.

We remembered visiting the twin towers on our first trip south in 1999.  For us this visit to the Memorial was very special.

We then headed for the red line and train number one.  In a true example of the blind leading the blind, Sue advised a young man on what train to get on and where to get off to head back to Penn Station!  We got off at West 42nd street and headed for Times Square.

We especially enjoyed watching the people.  It was interesting.  We then discovered St. Andrews Scottish Bar and Restaurant.  They had an amazing selection of scotches, so a sampling was required.

The day was completed by strolling down 5th avenue.  Since the temperature was in the low 90s, two tired cruisers found their train and headed back to Tarrytown and Passage.


  1. How was Tarrytown Marina? We liked it when we came through a few years ago , but the reviews in Active Captain lately haven't been great.

  2. How was Tarrytown Marina? We liked it when we came through a few years ago , but the reviews in Active Captain lately haven't been great.